Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Monday, August 6, 2018
Day 20

I got up early today knowing I had a list of things I wanted to do today. So left Jackie's about 9am. Drove to Willows and decided to take the long route to Orland and go out to Elk Creek and down the west side to Newville to the cemetery where Lon is buried. It's been 2 years today and seemed fitting to visit him on this day. I had bought some silk flowers to replace the spent ones that were there. Had thought about doing it on Wednesday when I go to Willows for Dee's funeral, but with the fire situation as it is, thought the fire might be closer then. I am glad I went. The valley was very smoky and the road from Elk Creek to Millsap gap was very smoky. After I went through the gap to the east side of the ridge I saw beautiful blue sky!! It is actually foothills so has some elevation. It started getting smoky again as I got close to the valley floor and to Black Butte Lake where we used to spend a fair amount of time camping or fishing. I drove from Willows to Elk Creek, about 20miles, and met 3 cars, 2 CHP and a truck. Didn't see any going my direction. From Elk Creek to cemetery, another 20 miles, and no cars either way. Got to cemetery and had to pee really bad so hid behind oak tree and large grave marker and a pickup drove by!!! Don't think he could see me tho. And then drove almost the rest of the way to Orland another 20 miles without seeing any cars until just outside of Orland. So I could stop in the middle of the road and take pictures. The first set of pictures is on Hwy 162 going from Willows to Elk Creek. Those are beehives and the plowed ground is a fire break around the field. The bridge is over Stony Creek at Elk Creek. Elk Creek is where Lon grew up.


The next set is on the road from Elk Creek to Newville Cemetery. Can't remember the number. The first picture is on the west side of the ridge and very smoky. It shows the road going through Millsap gap. It's right in the center of the picture. I guess you have to click on the picture to make it bigger to see the road. It's in the dip in the middle of the picture on the skyline. 
 The next 2 are on the east side of the gap and there is the blue sky!! Pretty rock formations. Did see a couple of deer but didn't capture them in the pictures.

Pictures of the new flowers I put on Lon' grave site. It was so peaceful and quiet out there. No sounds except a few birds and a bee that was harassing me.  No cars, trains, planes, etc. 

Interesting trees. 
When the color guard came out to the cemetery to do Lon's service 2 years ago, they said they had not been out there before. They wanted to put flags on the graves of men that had served in the military. So there are quite a few flags throughout the cemetery, including one for Lon. The one pictured below is on a county marker that says "Unknown". Had to take a picture of it. Made me a little teary although not sure why. 

Two random markers that I thought were interesting. Don't know who Samuel Clay is but he was born in Bedford County, Tennessee!
 This is sad!! 
This is Black Butte Lake. Very smoky.


 This sign was at the boat launch. At first I thought it was life jackets that had been lost and someone had hung there for the owners. This sounds like a good idea. I'm surprised tho that no one steals them.
This irrigation canal is water coming from Black Butte Lake. Used to water crops or orchards. 
I stopped at Carl's Jr. (same as Hardy's in TN) to get some chicken tenders. I wanted to take a picture of the palm trees. Would have been a pretty picture except for the billboards. I can't believe Max G. Arnold is still practicing! He was quite the ambulance chaser in the late 70's and early 80's.  I didn't like it when he came into the hospital unit to see clients (patients). 
 My mom had a cousin that passed in 1972 at the same time that Tina was born. So I didn't know where he was buried. I found out on Ancestry.com that he is in Forest Ranch. Tells the section and row, etc. So I drove to Forest Ranch, up Hwy 32 which Jackie and I came down on from the lake. I had to drive back through some woods  between some shady looking homes. When I got to the cemetery it was full of weeds, grasses, etc. Didn't see any snakes but was sure looking!! I walked all the way to that back gate and couldn't find his marker. Oh well.I tried. I wanted to get a picture to put on line and in my Family Tree Maker program.

So after I got back down the hill, I went to get my car scrubbed and waxed. It was dirty from ashes and pollen from the tree it was parked under. Then to Kohl's to get a pair of pants for the service. Could hardly find the store. The trees have grown up so much it wasn't visible. Next stop Costco to get lamb chops. And gas. Then to Bud and Linda's at quitting time!  Took an "off the freeway" route and made it in a short time. Their daughter, Arwen and her daughter Rowen came for dinner. Was good to see them. And once again it is after 1am there! Just can't seem to get to writing this until late. Everyone has gone to bed. Linda will be up at 5:30 but I doubt that I will, unless it's to go to BR. :-) 
Tomorrow going to have lunch with a long time friend from grade school and high school. Going to La Hacienda, one of my favorite places. It's been there a long time. 
Nite all. Hope all is well.
Hugs, Carol 






No comments:

Post a Comment