Monday, August 13, 2018

Monday, August 13, 2018
Day 27

I woke up to clouds but warm weather. I left Hays, KS about 9:45am. On the way east, there are a lot of billboards referring to Eisenhower. His boyhood home and Presidential Library and Museum are in Abilene, KS. It's about 25 miles from Junction City, KS where my dad grew up. I believe he told me that their football teams played against each other. I don't think he actually met him, but he did support him. I think you will have to zoom in on the picture to see the billboard. Yes, that is a little rain on the windshield. At first I thought it was bugs that I had missed when I washed the windshield. It rained enough to use the wipers but the pavement didn't get wet)
A little farther down the road after I came to Abilene, I saw a highway sign that made me laugh. I couldn't get a picture because it came and went before I could get the camera. I thought that Truman and Eisenhower would both turn over in their graves if they saw it. And my dad would too.  So I looked it up and found out the story behind the sign. (The picture wouldn't post so you will have to click on the link below to see it)
                                                  
Eisenhower Truman Highway I-70  It's a 2 page pdf that is interesting. 
I decided to try one more time to find my great grandfather's grave marker in Junction City, KS. 3rd time is a charm. I found it! It's on a hill that overlooks the Ft. Riley army base. The cemetery is well hidden, doesn't have a name on it and no markers to indicate where it is. It's a small cemetery and very peaceful and pretty well kept. I took a lot more pictures but won't post all of them. 
Ft. Riley

Joseph P. Estes and Elizabeth Estes great grandparents


Lots of Petersons there. No relation that I know of. 

Ft. Riley in the distance

I think is a crab apple tree. 
So as long as I was in cemetery hunting mode, I drove out to the cemetery (Humboldt Creek Cemetery) where my other great grandparents are supposed to be buried. When Lon and I drove out there 4 years ago, we couldn't find their markers. Well, I walked the whole cemetery and still didn't find it. And they aren't listed as being a memorial there. But my great uncle (my grandfather's brother) and his family are there. 
There is a portion of I-70 that is a toll road. When you enter you take a ticket and at the end there is a clerk to take your money. $3 This is the sign there since there is a lot of construction going on. In case you can't zoom in, it says "ONE LANE RD AHEAD PLEASE MERGE NICELY".
When I got to Boonville, MO I stopped at a Love station and gassed up and went to Hardy's to get some chicken tenders. Had to take a picture of this man. Must be some kind of highway worker. 
I got to Wentzville, MO about 6:20. I'm at the Hampton Inn. It's huge and I think is new. It still has that new smell. It's next door to a movie theater (12) and a huge parking lot. I heard music which sounded like it was coming from across the parking lot. I thought there was a concert going on. So I walked across the lot to find it. Turns out it was coming from speakers in the parking lot. 


I am in a King Suite! It's beautiful and I could live in here!! It's so big. Very comfortable. And nicely decorated.( Jeana just informed me that the Dodgers and Giants are playing ball. Finally found it on the TV so now can watch while doing the blog :-)  ) Plus there is a huge walk in shower and vanity area, and a small kitchenette. 




Side entrance. My room is just inside the door.  
When I walked across the parking lot, these businesses were down below. Sounds interesting!!

The movie theater on the left. The Hampton Inn on the right

If I had any energy, I could spend some time here ;-)

I should be able to make it home tomorrow. Have 400 miles to go. Will be good to get home. And I imagine my granddaughter will be glad too so they don't have to take care of things any longer. It's been longer than anticipated. And I am grateful to them for feeding my kitty, etc. 
Have a good night all. Hugs, Carol 



No comments:

Post a Comment