Monday, July 30, 2018

Sunday, July 29, 2018
Day 12

Arose to another terribly smoky day. So many fires burning in Northern California. So many sad stories. We went to church this morning at the Lake Almanor Community Church. It was a wonderful service. Very casual and friendly. A lot of tourists attend during the summer. They asked where visitors were from. Several from other places in California, Atlanta, Hawaii, and me in Nashville. I didn't take "church clothes" with me so I wore long shorts and a t-shirt, and flip flops. Never have gone to church so casual. But almost everyone there was dressed as I was. So I didn't feel out of place. We sat in a room that is also used for a basketball court. We had the doors open to the mountain air during the church. Was great!
After church, we went back to the cabin and had lunch. Leftover tacos or panini sandwiches. I had tacos and sat on the deck to eat. Of course the meat bees had to join me. So I put a little piece of hamburger on the table and it kept them busy and out of my food. 

My lunch. 

Then it was time to pack up and head for the valley. We decided to go down Hwy 32 since Hwy 36 would put us into Red Bluff which is not too far from Redding where one of the huge fires are. And would probably be very smoky.  Even the route we took was smoky. We stopped at Potato Patch, the watering hole where we always stopped when growing up. I think I have mentioned it before. Finally got a picture of Jackie and me so I can prove I really was here :-) We could really smell smoke there. 
 I got ahead of myself. First picture is going across the causeway into Chester. Could not see Mt. Lassen at all or the surrounding mountains. It's such a beautiful picture and I was sad that I didn't get to see it this time. The next are a few pictures of Chester. Lassen Gift Company used to be a drug store and they have a soda fountain in there. The Holiday Market is where we buy groceries and Collins Pines is one of the biggest employers in Chester. A lumber company. They hold art festivals on the grounds there.



On the way out of town on Hwy 36 we pass a closed restaurant that we used to really enjoying having dinner at years ago. It's called Black Forest Lodge. Actually had rooms to rent as well as the restaurant. I think was German food but what I really liked were the pork chops. Sad to see it so run down. 
The next few pictures are of Potato Patch which I mentioned at the beginning and the rest of Hwy 32 down into Chico. The burn pictures are from a couple of weeks ago. When at the lower end of the hwy you should be able to see the valley and Chico and the Coast Range of mountains. We couldn't even see Chico!!! 
Potato Patch

Curvy road!! 


Looking over the Chico and the valley.


Everything is so dry!! California is on fire!! 
I finally got a better picture of a rice field and saffron field on our way to Woodland in the valley.  Had to get one of a palm tree! And a picture of a sunflower field. There were huge fields of them. They are hanging their heads so about ready to harvest. 






What a wonderful trip it was to the lake. Even though it was smoky and I didn't get to really see Lassen, it was worth driving 2400 miles!!! It was as hot in the mountains as it is in the valley. Actually tonight it has cooled off nicely.  Tomorrow another trip to Woodland to get a few groceries. We are having Jackie's kids and their families for dinner so going to make another batch of Texas Caviar.  We ate the whole batch at the lake :-) So, it's late now. Most won't see this until Monday. Good night. Take care. Hugs. Carol
---P.S. Jackie was driving while I took pictures :-) I took 80 pictures since yesterday evening so was hard to pare them down. Wish I had taken my Canon camera so I could have gotten closer pictures. I forgot and let it in my car here. We went in Jackie's car. Oh well, next time :-) 
---PSS. tonight there is another fire burning in the Clear Lake area. Lakeport has been evacuated and Kelseyville in voluntary evacuation. Lon's nephew Hughie is in Kelseyville but on the outskirts of the evacuation area. A friend of my sister's is in Lakeport and has evacuated. So far her home is ok. so many people have lost their homes while at the same time they are working to fight fires and take care of patients, etc. At this point, prayers are most welcome.💜💜💜

No comments:

Post a Comment