Saturday, July 21, 2018

Saturday, July 21, 2018
Day 4
I'm thinking this is going to be a long post so you might have to read it in parts, or get a cup of coffee and enjoy!!Just too many pictures.
I woke up to fairly cool weather in Evanston. I think was about 60. Probably because it is 6749 ft.  It is about 3 miles from the border of Utah. So was quickly into Utah. A couple of pictures leaving the Evanston motel.


I saw a couple of really long trains. One went on for a little over a mile on my odometer! There were some pretty steep inclines for them. Amazing to watch. Here is a picture of one rock formation in Coalville, Utah.  Some of the rocks were very red. Beautiful 
Had to make a pit stop in Park City, Utah. Didn't need gas for once.  This is a popular ski resort area in the winter time.  I think it's 7000 feet. The second picture shows a couple of ski runs.  Lots or gorgeous homes in the area. 

Just west of Park City the freeway begins a sharp decent down into Salt Lake City.  It goes from 7000 feet to 4000 feet in a few miles. Thought I saw a 10% downgrade but for sure a 6% downgrade. This is a little scary and also comforting.  Didn't see any trucks in the pit fortunately.  Lots of tire recaps on the roads tho. Was in 90's a good part of the time. 
I couldn't see the Great Salt Lake very well, but this is what I was able to catch. 

I don't know what this represents but it was along the freeway. Assume it is salt water that is collecting on the posts. The next picture is the Salt Lake salt flats near Wendover, UT/NV.

An interesting bridge west of Wendover over the freeway. Might be for wildlife. 

The next few pictures are of the Elko, and Winnemucca, NV area. I lived there when J.O. (Pete) my son was born. The first picture is part of the Ruby Mts. The main part of the Rubys out of Elko were not visible due to haze. For those of you who haven't seen sage brush, this is a picture. It also grows as tall as a car but didn't see any in town. The tunnels are west of Elko near Carlin. Used to be an open pit gold mine in Carlin. Don't think it's operating any more because could hardly tell where it was. When I lived in Elko Almost 50 years ago the population was 7000. Now it is 18,000.  It definitely has spread out. The hospital where I worked is no longer there. They have a nice large facility south of town. 








Last year when Iri and I drove to Calif we stopped in Elko and took pictures of where her dad had lived. We weren't able to find the trailer park that we lived in when in Winnemucca. So I looked up the address at home and today was able to find where it is. I had to take a detour through town because a car show had some of the streets blocked.  Don't know what denomination this church is but it is beautiful.  Was able to get a pic of one of the cars! Nice purple :-) 



I arrived in Sparks, NV (Reno) just as a storm went through. Got rained on and saw some lightning but not bad compared to what I was in a couple of days ago.  I am staying at the Nugget Hotel. The picture is the tower I see out of my window not the one I'm in. My first dinner in a restaurant since I left. Have been using food I brought or got from the continental breakfasts. It was very good although more than I have been eating. The 2 are skyline pictures of sunset and last one is my room on the 11th floor.  I played 2 slot machines. Started with $10. Lost 4 so cashed out and went to a Wheel of Fortune machine. Put in $6.00 and left with $38 and change. Paid for my dinner and a little left over. Now it's time to get my feet up and get some sleep.  It's only 9:30 but 11:30 TN time :-) Takes a little while to adjust to the time changes. Headed for Orland, CA tomorrow. Until then.......take care. Have a good night.  Hugs, Carol 










No comments:

Post a Comment