Saturday, July 21, 2018

Friday, July 20, 2018
Day 3.

I got an earlier start this morning. Was looking at about a 9 hour drive from Colby, KS to Evanston, WY. This is what the country side looked like.  Miles and miles of corn fields.  There were quite a few fallow fields which made the area look very dry. Good weather. Was low 70's when I left.

This next picture from Goodland, KS shows the gates that they close for weather related problems. There are signs that have flashing lights when the road is closed and ALL traffic has to exit the freeway. 

The area around Denver was very smoggy looking. I guess it could have been from fires but it was just hanging over the city. It made it hard to see the beautiful mountains. This was taken in Brighton, CO. They are really there. Just have to look hard. 

Finally got a decent picture of an oil pump. I think they should paint them pretty colors!! 

I have no idea what this operation is but it was impressive. Was in Sinclair, WY. 
This is my kind of speed limit!!! Rock Springs, WY. 
The highest point I crossed today was 8000+ feet. A short ways farther west I crossed the Continental Divide at 7000 feet At 80 miles per hour the signs came up too fast for me to get a good picture.  I saw some incredible rock formations and varied terrain. Just no time to get a nice photo. There was a lot of construction although some of it was put on hold for the weekend I think. There was an incredible amount of traffic going north from Denver to Cheyenne. Even had signs saying to expect heavy weekend traffic. One car with Illinois plates and a dirty back window had "California Bound" written on the back window :-) They were going even faster than me.  
I forgot to mention on the first day I saw a truck with a clever decal in the window. You've seen the decals that are in memory of a loved one that has passed?? Well this one said In Memory Of (on the first line curved) When I Could on a line under it!  Made me chuckle. 
I am keeping track of all the different state license plates that I have seen.  Will write them all at once. 
There were several sections of the freeway that had variable speed limit signs that could be changed according to conditions - being weather or construction. Very good idea I think. 
Finally arrived in Evanston, WY at 7:00 pm CDT. So since this is mountain time, I gained an hour. 
These next photos are inside the lobby of the Best Western Dunmar Inn, Evanston, WY. There were here 4 years ago when Lon and I stayed here.  I believe I have a picture of him with one of them.  I don't have access to those photos. 



I was craving some melon when I got checked in so I went to a nice little grocery store. Didn't have any cut up melon and I didn't want to buy a knife just to cut the melon so bought a salad and 2 hard boiled eggs. it was very good and not too heavy. The burned area was just across the street from the grocery.  Pretty close. Bet it was scary. The last picture is where I filled up with gas. Clever name Loaf 'n Jug.  (Like bread and milk I guess).  Added 8-22-2018: I was reading this post here at home and realized that I didn't post the pictures! Duh!! 



Lastly, I have sad news today. Some of you already know, but my sister-in-law Dee passed away this morning about 8am PDT.  I was hoping to see her and help care for her in her last days but I am so very happy that she is at peace now. No more pain, and difficulties. No services are planned yet. I will be going to see Dick on Sunday when I get to California. Will probably stay a couple of days with him. Dee's sister is coming up also. 
So that's all for tonight. I plum tuckered out!! See you tomorrow. Take care.  Hug the ones you love.  
Good night.
P.S. Tomorrow I will tell you about the naming contest for a minor league baseball team in Denver. 



4 comments:

  1. You are seeing alot of interesting things! Nice photos of the animals with your new iphone 8!! Good camera! Yea-I bet you love that 80 mph sign! So you probably add about 5 more to that I bet!! I see you are in Wells Nv now-making good time! I love reading the daiy posts-I check them on my ipad before I crawl out of bed in the morning! Til the next blog --continue a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got it. Thanks for commenting! 5+😘

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see you, Aunt Carol! Love the blog & all the photos of your travels West. Jamison will love all the animals from your hotel. Drive safe & watch out for all the crazies on the road! ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol this is so fun! I love seeing all these picture and all your adventures. I tried to post a minute ago and it wouldn't let me, so sorry if you are getting more then one message from me lol Drive safe and have fun!

    ReplyDelete